Table of Contents
Attention BNB Chain developers!
The Fermat Hardfork of opBNB is paving the Way for Interoperability with Greenfield and Stabilizing L1 Gas Prices.
The opBNB Testnet hardfork Fermat is scheduled for activation at block height 12113000, expected to occur at 14:00 – 14:15 UTC+8 on 3rd, November 2023.
This hardfork will lay the foundation for interoperability between opBNB and BNB Greenfield by adding new pre-compiled contracts that enable BLS signatures verification and cometBFT light client verification. Additionally, Fermat will stabilize the L1 gas price for L1 data costs of opBNB Layer 2 transactions.
What does this mean for community developers?
Community developers should upgrade to opNode v0.2.0 and opGeth v0.2.0 before the hardfork time. This will ensure that their nodes are compatible with the new pre-compiled contracts and that they can continue to operate smoothly after the hardfork.
Benefits of the Fermat Hardfork
The Fermat Hardfork offers a number of benefits for the opBNB community, including:
- Interoperability with BNB Greenfield: The new pre-compiled contracts will enable interoperability between opBNB and Greenfield, which will open up new opportunities for collaboration and innovation.
- Stabilized L1 gas prices: The stabilized L1 gas price will make it easier for developers to estimate the costs of their transactions and will also help to improve the efficiency of opBNB Layer 2 transactions.
opNode v0.2.0 Changes
- Fixed L1 gas price to 3 Gwei (5 Gwei for Testnet)
- New RPC kind bsc_fullnode to improve performance of retrieving L1 receipts
- Allow multiple L1 endpoints in the configuration
- Enable L2 sync mechanism for opBNB with “–l2.engine-sync=true” flag
opGeth v0.2.0 Changes
- Two new precompiled contracts:
- blsSignatureVerify to verify BLS signatures in smart contracts
- cometBFTLightBlockValidate to validate cometBFT light blocks
- Rollup configuration for opBNB Mainnet and Testnet added, you can now use the `–network=opBNBTestnet` or `–network=opBNBMainnet` flag instead of `–rollup.config=./rollup.json` to specify the rollup configuration for the op-node.
- Enable L2 sync mechanism for opBNB
To upgrade to opNode v0.2.0 and opGeth v0.2.0, please follow these steps:
- Download the latest opNode and opGeth docker images (URL provided below) or you can compile the binary from source code(repo provided below).
- Stop your current opNode and opGeth instances.
- Start your new opNode and opGeth instances with the appropriate flags.
For more detailed instructions, please refer to the opNode and opGeth documentation.
- It is important to upgrade to opNode v0.2.0 and opGeth v0.2.0 before the hardfork time. Failure to do so may result in your node being unable to connect to the network after the hardfork.
- If you are running an op-node in production, we recommend that you upgrade to a test environment first to ensure a smooth transition.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us on the BNBChain Discord server.
Thank you for your continued support of the opBNB network.