Table of Contents
- opBNB’s tech roadmap paves the way for heightened performance and greater affordability and community collaboration
- opBNB transaction count has now surpassed all Ethereum L2s, reaching 20+ million in the past 7 days
November 29 2023
BNB Chain, the community-driven blockchain ecosystem that includes the world’s largest smart contract blockchain, has published its tech roadmap for opBNB. The roadmap targets 10,000 TPS (transactions per second) for transfers and a price reduction of ten times on opBNB. The roadmap has been published during a week that saw opBNB experience its highest ever transaction count at 5.47+ million while fully utilizing its 100M gas limit in a single block. This led to the network processing 645 minting transactions per second.
The opBNB Roadmap aims to make blockchain more accessible, with the design principles based on making the opBNB network more efficient for users and developers. Focusing on high performance, affordability, and collaborative community engagement, the roadmap includes three key design principles:
- High Performance and Low cost: Establish scalability, transaction efficiency, and network responsiveness to support a growing ecosystem of dApps with extremely low costs. opBNB’s gas limit per block will be increased from 100M per second to 200M per second, which would make it the highest capacity L2 network and achieve 10,000 TPS. Furthermore, it will also embrace the EIP-4844 Danksharding and build a data availability layer in BNB Greenfield to dramatically decrease the gas fees and target to achieve 10x cheaper than current level and a fee threshold of $0.0005
- App Chain Architecture: Install an app chain architecture that can simplify the deployment of multiple application-specific Layer 2 solutions and connect them seamlessly.
- Collaborative Community: Foster a vibrant and engaged community that actively contributes to the development, governance, and growth of the opBNB platform.
With a goal of 10,000 TPS and 0.0005$ gas fees, opBNB will be able to further support on-chain games and high frequency DeFi dApps. Fees on opBNB will be reduced starting from the week commencing December 4, when they will be lowered from $0.005 to $0.001. Between Q4 of 2023 and Q1 of 2024, opBNB will introduce multiple node types, increasing the capacity from 100M to 150M and implementing low-cost, scalable data availability.
Before going on to record its all time high for transaction count, opBNB reached an ATH for TPS on November 17, when the network handled the full capacity of 100M gas per second smoothly in a single block. This led to the network processing 645 minting transactions per second. Since the mainnet went live on September 13th, opBNB has reached 945,438 users, demonstrating its popularity within the Web3 community and robust capacity for handling high transaction volumes and technological capabilities in optimizing blockchain throughput and performance.
The BNB Chain Core Development Team shared that, “The opBNB community is the driving force behind its success. We recognize the immense potential of our community members to contribute not only to the development of dApps on opBNB but also to core chain technology innovations. In addition, developers who contribute to opBNB, will have access to the Most Valuable Builder Program (MVB) in collaboration with Binance Labs and CMC Labs and be eligible to apply for grants and mentorship.”
Read the full opBNB Roadmap and wishlist here.
Ready to get started? Find out how to get started with opBNB here.
About BNB Chain
BNB Chain is a community-driven blockchain ecosystem that seeks to remove barriers to Web3 adoption. Powered by BNB, it includes the world’s largest L1 blockchain, the EVM-compatible BNB Smart Chain, and fosters a multi-chain ecosystem with BNB Greenfield and opBNB. Offering ultra-low gas fees and superior TPS, the BNB Chain ecosystem hosts thousands of dApps across DeFi, metaverse, gaming, SocialFi, NFTs and infrastructure, each of which add value to its ecosystem.
BNB Chain fosters impactful Web3 innovation with its BNB Chain Builder Support Program. This includes the Most Valuable Builder (MVB) accelerator program, run in partnership with Binance Labs and CMC Labs.