Table of Contents
The BNB Beacon Chain mainnet is expected to have a scheduled hard fork upgrade at block height 321,213,000. Based on the current block generation speed, the hard fork will occur on 15th June 2023. at 6:00 (UTC). The full node runners on mainnet must switch their software version to v0.10.14 by 15th June.
1. Background Story
1.1 Who is Luban?
Luban, also known as Gongshu Ban, was a legendary figure in ancient China celebrated for his exceptional carpentry, architecture, and engineering skills. He was a gifted artisan, engineer, and inventor who lived during the Warring States period (475-221 BC), and his contributions to carpentry, architecture, and engineering were truly remarkable.
His designs and innovations were groundbreaking for his time and laid the foundation for many modern-day engineering feats that we continue to marvel at today.
1.2 What is a Hardfork upgrade?
A Hardfork is an upgrade incompatible with the previous release because some breaking changes are introduced in the latest release. A hard fork in BNB Beacon Chain requires 2⁄3 of validators to upgrade to make blocks successfully. If the existing full nodes in the network do not upgrade, they will not receive and execute further blocks after the hard-fork block height.
1.3 What happens during a network upgrade?
New rules and logic changes will occur for this upgrade at the block height 321,213,000. After the upgrade kicks in, the blockchain can handle a series of new business rules and logic.
2. How does this upgrade affect me?
2.1 As a BNB holder, what do I have to do?
If you are using any exchanges which support BNB (such as Binance.com, BitMax, or Gate.io), one of the wallets, or a hardware wallet (such as Ledger, or Cool Wallet), there’s no action required on your side unless your exchange or wallet service notifies you.
2.2 As a full node operator, what do I have to do?
This is a hard fork release, and you must switch to v0.10.14. Upgrade instructions are as below (you should do all the below before the hard fork block height):
- If your node is already synced with the network, please download the new v0.10.14 binary and replace the previous version, and download the new config file app.toml to replace the previous version.
- Increase the open file limit to 65535.
- Stop the bnbchaind process and restart it with v0.10.14.
ulimit -n 65535
bnbchaind start –home <home-path>
2.4 What will happen if I forget to upgrade my full node in time?
If you fail to upgrade your software on time, your node will not sync with the upgraded BNB Beacon Chain peer/validator nodes. You will not be able to connect or send transactions.
How to recover?
You can find detailed info at doc-site.
- Download the tool state-recover from release to fix the upgrade issue.
- Backup your home directory
Since the height of the upgrade is set to be 321,213,000, you can run the following command to recover the state to just one block before the upgrade, which is 321,212,999:
|./state_recover 321212999 <your_home_path>|
- Restart with the version v0.10.14 of bnbchaind
|bnbchaind start –home <home-path>|
3. Upcoming Changes
3.1 What will change with the blockchain feature?
- New Features
- BEP-126: This BEP describes a fast finality mechanism to finalize a block on BSC, once the block has been finalized, it won’t be reverted forever. The finality of a block can be achieved within two blocks in most cases, this is expected to reduce the chance of chain re-organization and stabilize the block production further. Luban upgrade only provides the capability of fast finality, the validators can vote, but the votes are not used to finalize a block, and the reward & punishment mechanisms are not enabled either. Fast Finality will not be fully ignited until the upgrade: Plato.
- Bug Fix
- Fix cli issue when reading Pubkey from Leger.
3.2 What will be different for users?
There will be no difference for users of BC.
Thanks for your cooperation, and let’s make BNB Beacon Chain a modern and secure infrastructure for the BNB ecosystem.